Neil Quilliam is a senior research fellow with the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) Programme.
Prior to this he was project director of the Syria and Its Neighbours policy initiative and acting head of the MENA Programme, having first joined Chatham House as a senior research fellow in January 2014, before becoming a senior consulting fellow in September 2014.
He previously served as senior MENA energy adviser at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO), senior MENA analyst at Control Risks, London, and senior programme officer at the United Nations University, Amman.
Neil has lived in Saudi Arabia, Jordan and UAE, and has travelled extensively around the MENA region, working on a variety of development, education and research projects.
He has published a number of books and articles on international relations and political economy of Syria, Jordan, Iraq and the Gulf Cooperation Council states.
Areas of expertise
- GCC Countries
- Energy – Middle East & North Africa
|2014-17||Project Director, Syria and Its Neighbours Policy Initiative, Chatham House|
|2010-14||Middle East and North Africa Energy Adviser, Foreign & Commonwealth Office, London|
|2005-10||Head of Desk/Senior Analyst, Middle East & North Africa, Control Risks, London|
|2003-05||Senior Programme Officer, United Nations Leadership Institute, Amman, Jordan|
|2002-03||Development Consultant, Queen Zein Al-Sharaf Institute for Development, Amman, Jordan|
|2002-03||Policy Analyst, Emirates Center for Strategic Studies & Research, Abu Dhabi, UAE|
|2000-02||Lecturer (Part-time), Jordan Institute of Diplomacy, Amman, Jordan|
|2000-02||Programme Officer, United Nations Leadership Institute, Amman, Jordan|
|1998-2000||Prince of Wales and King Faisal Scholar, King Abdulaziz University, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia|
- Total’s Iran Deal Gives Rouhani Space to Push Reform 05 July 2017
- Israel Risks a Brutal Intifada If It Lets Palestinian Hunger Strikers Die 15 May 2017
- Syria Is Not Lost Yet 14 March 2017
- Paris Attacks: Governance, Not Airstrikes, Will Topple ISIS in Syria 18 November 2015
- Hands of Power: The Rise of Syria's Assad Family 04 November 2015
- Putin Will Not Give Up Expanding Moscow's Influence 20 October 2015
- What the UK Can Do to Solve the Refugee Crisis 07 October 2015
- Five Reasons Why Including Assad in a 'Managed Transition' Will Fail 30 September 2015
- Syria Safe Zones Will Undermine US Fight Against ISIS 29 July 2015
- British Air Strikes Against ISIS Will Only Add to Human Suffering in Syria 22 July 2015
- Saving Transatlantic Cooperation and the Iran Nuclear Deal: A View from Europe and the United States co-author, SWP Comment, 2018
- Security and Bilateral Issues between Iran and its Arab Neighbours co-editor with Anoushiravan Ehteshami and Gawdat Bahgat, Palgrave Macmillan, 2017
- Policy-making in the GCC: State, Citizens and Institutions co-editor with Mark C. Thompson, I.B.Tauris, 2017
- Syria and the New World Order Ithaca Press, 1999