Philanthropic giving supports independent research and analysis as well as provides a vital source of discretionary revenue to the institute.
As a non-profit institute without government subsidy or significant endowment, Chatham House has relied principally on membership subscriptions and research grants from foundations, companies and government departments to achieve its mission. The institute is now seeking to build its network of committed and engaged individuals who wish to help the institute plan and grow into its second century.
Founded on philanthropy
It was through generous support that the institute started its first century. In 1923 Colonel R.W. Leonard, a Canadian businessman and philanthropist, purchased No. 10 St James’s Square on behalf of the institute. He named it in honour of former prime minister William Pitt ‘the Elder’, Earl of Chatham, who resided there from 1757 to 1761. Colonel Leonard was one of several private donors who provided support in the 1920s and 1930s to establish Chatham House.
Looking to the future
Chatham House has ambitious plans as it approaches its centenary in 2020. In order to improve its ability to undertake world-class research into themes and geographies with depth and impartiality it is focused on the following:
- Endowing a number of research fellowships and interdisciplinary research centres
- Endowing the Queen Elizabeth II Academy for Leadership in International Affairs
- Securing the necessary physical space and infrastructure