Turkey is heading towards a fateful presidential and parliamentary elections in May 2023. These elections are taking place against the background of a deepening economic downturn and a devastating earthquake.
The elections will bear a major impact on the future of Turkish democracy, economy and foreign policy. At stake is the nature of Turkey’s political system, its geopolitical identity and the health of its democracy.
To unpack the significance and implications of this election, this event addresses the following questions:
- What kind of political visions do the main presidential candidates offer for the country?
- How do they differ on the main domestic and foreign policy issues?
- How do the presidential candidates feature in public surveys?
- What does this election mean for Turkey’s foreign policy?
- What is the likely impact of the election on Turkey’s place in the transatlantic alliance and its relations with Europe?
As with all members events, questions from the audience drive the conversation.